Harper Takes a Stab at Writing a Non-Paranormal Romance Book

And One Last Thing ... - Molly Harper

After one botched florist delivery, Lacey Terwillger discovers that her husband, Mike, is cheating on her with his secretary. And it seems she's the last person in town to find out. What's even worse, is that everyone thought she knew because it “seemed so obvious.”

Outraged, Lacey decides to leave Mike, but not before she uses the company's newsletter to air all his dirty laundry. Unfortunately, her bit of revenge backfires. Yes, Mike is humiliated but he's also suing her for defamation. To make problems worse, the newsletter has become an internet sensation and Lucy is now the most infamous woman in town.

And One Last Thing... was an interesting departure from Harper's paranormal romances. The book has Harper’s usual humorous and light tone, but carries a more chick-lit vibe than romance. Yes, there is a romance between Lacey and her neighbor, Monroe, but it’s really a side plot to Lacey trying to navigate her life as she goes through the divorce.

Lacey was a strong narrator and I'm glad she didn't succumb to the urge to mope or bemoan her life. She was active in getting back on her feet. I also like that she didn’t immediately fall head over heels for her neighbor. It was a slow process that had them becoming friends first and showed Lacey's hesitance about getting into another relationship. I also loved that Monroe was understanding and respectful of Lacey's decisions.

What I really didn't like is how Lacey's husband was handled. In the beginning, Mike was portrayed as a neglectful and cheating husband who was more concerned with his status in the community than his relationships with people. This was more than enough reason to understand Lacey’s decision to leave him. But as the story progresses, Lacey has several flashback memories and recalls certain facts that paints him as an emotional abuser. A couple of examples: he monitors who she can and cannot be friends with, tries to cut her off from family members he deems unsuitable, and tells her that she can't get a job because it would "send the wrong impression" despite the fact that she clearly wanted to work. Yet, all this is brushed off by Lacey rationalizing his behavior through blaming herself. Not cool. The way Lacey worked through being in, what is suddenly revealed as an emotionally abusive relationship did not gel for me. Neglectful is one thing, but randomly bringing in this loaded topic and not handling it right put a damper on my enjoyment of the book.