Lots of Info Dumping

Night's Master - Amanda Ashley

I enjoyed Ashley's writing style, but the book's pacing and her "tell don't show" approach to developing characters drove me crazy. The main character, Kathy, opens a bookstore in a small town and suddenly finds herself caught in the middle of a battle between werewolves and vampires. From that, I thought I would enjoy Night's Master since its a very Underworld set-up. But Kathy is a dull character and barely plays an active role in the book. Most of the time, she was just in scenes to ask a ton of questions so readers could get back-story on the other characters.

As for Rafe, he seemed like an interesting guy, but that was never shown. Instead, most of what we know about his character is from exposition. Lots and lots of exposition. (Also, for being the leader of the North American vampires he sure didn't seem to have very many responsibilities.)

The setting also bothered me. At the beginning of the book, it's established that this is a future world where vampires and werewolves are known to exist by humans. What bothered me is that Kathy knows absolutely nothing about vampires and werewolves, except the myths. We've established that, in this world, the existence of these creatures is common knowledge...so how does having a main character know nothing about them make sense?

I don't think I'll be picking up another book in this series.