A reincarnation story I actually loved!

Archangel's Blade - Nalini Singh

Guild member, Honor, had been held captive by vampires for months before she was saved. Her captivity has left scars on both her body and mind. Because of this, she feels nowhere near ready to go out into the world, let alone work with vampires to uncover a killer. Unfortunately, Honor is given little choice in the matter when the archangel Raphael's tower calls demanding an expert who can identify some odd markings. Soon, she finds herself facing Dmitri, one of the oldest and most dangerous vampires in New York.

Well known for being brutal and cold-hearted, Dmitri is a far cry from the man he used to be. Lately though, Dmitri has been finding it harder to bury the painful memories from his past. This doesn’t get easier when Honor shows up in his office. Her scars and behavior, remind Dmitri too much of what happened to his wife and family. Never having been someone who could tolerate women and children brutalized, Dmitri takes over Honor’s case. Soon, both of them are working together to track down Honor’s abductors, as well as discover who’s behind a rash of murders.

Now this is how an anti-hero book should be. Dmitri has always verged along the lines of being an antagonist in the series. In the first book, he seems fairly intent to kill Elena until Raphael nixes that. But even after that, his main role in the series seem be threatening to kill Elena if she shows any weaknesses. With this in mind, I wasn’t too thrilled to see him get his own book. I was skeptical of Dmitri as the lead because I was afraid it would destroy his character by making him all sunshine and bunnies. Turns out I had nothing to fear. Archangel's Blade stays incredibly true to Dmitri's character, while at the same time making you want to see him get some happiness.

The other reason why I was hesitant about reading this addition to the series is because reincarnation stories are not my thing. However, I really liked the way Singh did it here. She took a subtle approach that you don’t see too often. Throughout the story, you just kind of slowly assumed what Honor was. This was a huge relief, as it avoided the common reincarnation plot of one character trying to prove they are a reincarnation.

All in all, this was a wonderful addition to the series and I can’t wait to read the
next book.