Fairly Standard Salem Witch Trials Novel

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane - Katherine Howell

It took me forever to slog through The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane. And by forever, I mean over a year. I kept putting it down in favor of other books because this one moves so slow.

The story follows Connie, a graduate student, as she tries to track down one of her ancestor's physick books. As she goes deeper into her family's past she starts to uncover strange facts. On top of this her academic adviser is acting odd and someone burns an occult symbol into her front door. (And unfortunately it wasn't Gandalf :(

Howe is great at establishing the setting of her story. The descriptions of the hot summer atmosphere of Salem were wonderful. My biggest complaint was that the story skipped around a lot. So we didn't get a lot of insight into how characters handled tense situations immediately after they happened. This is probably one of the biggest things that cut down on the intensity of the plot. Big moments would happen and then in the next chapter we'd get characters reflecting on it days or weeks later.

Other than that, I enjoyed the book and would recommend it to anyone interested in stories centered on the history of the Salem Witch trials.